What if the perfect way of eating was as simple as listening to what your body needs? Eating when you’re hungry and stopping when you’re full. Intuitive eating is easier said than done because we are conditioned to pay more attention to diet fads than how we actually feel.
If you truly listen to your body, you would fill your plate with greens because they bring vitality and on the flip-side, you’d also enjoy every mouthful of your favorite chocolate brownie, when that’s what you really crave. Indulging now and then doesn’t mean you’re disrespecting the temple, but that you love it enough to gift it with pleasure. Allowing sonetime will also prevent a guilt-inducing binge which leaves you feeling terrible for days.
Here are some beautifully simple steps to follow to help you eat more intuitively:
The Eating Guidelines
1. Eat when you are hungry.
2. Eat sitting down in a calm environment. This does not include the car.
3. Eat without distractions. Distractions include radio, television, newspapers, books, intense or anxiety-producing conversations or music.
4. Eat what your body wants.
5. Eat until you are satisfied.
6. Eat (with the intention of being) in full view of others.
7. Eat with enjoyment, gusto, and pleasure.”
– Authour Geneen Roth- Women, Food and God.